Popular Posts

Sunday 2 October 2011

What Governor Amaechi told Pastor Adeboye at RCCG convention on governance in Nigeria

By Daily Trust (Culled from Church Times newspaper)



Daddy, you may laugh at the deceitful world we find ourselves, at least none of us is worshipping Satan. These were the words of Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi at the recently conducted RCCG convention.
The 58th convention of the Redeemed Christian Church of God definitely had its own share of memorable events, one of which was the open confession of the Rivers State Governor, Amaechi during the Friday night service.  Having been called up just to say a word of greeting to participants, the organizers apparently were not ready for the confessions that he made that night concerning his political affairs and his relationship with God.    




Humbly bowing to acknowledge the General Overseer of RCCG, Pastor E. A. Adeboye, whom he referred to as ‘Daddy’, he started by narrating his ordeal at the previous year’s convention of how he left Lagos as early as 6 pm and did not get to the camp until 1:00am in spite of his security retinue, saying that he heard only the last 10minutes of the message. He then told himself, “If it’s only 10minutes let me receive my blessings”.
Still narrating his experience to the mammoth crowd and Adeboye in particular, he said, “I was on the camp ground in 2007, but I must confess to God and the people of God, that in my travails to be the governor, I met you on this camp, Daddy I did not come for prayers. I came to meet you to talk to your friend, the former President Olusegun Obasanjo. You told me then that God had not told you I would be governor, but my story would not end here. 




Since I didn’t know what prophesy was back then, I couldn’t say amen.  Later on when I was with a Pastor friend of mine in RCCG who came to pray with me in Ghana for about a month, I told him I met you and told him what you said, he exclaimed and I asked him why? He said that is prophecy, then he said we will win our case and you will become governor. So Daddy, today is the testimony of the governorship”, this declaration sent the crowd roaring for joy apparently to God’s faithfulness in bringing His prophecy to pass.
Governor Amaechi then went on further narrating how he has been telling his other colleagues this testimony and how they’ve been sneaking into the camp ground for prayers.  “I have a friend who is a governor, but I won’t mention his name. I told him to join me on my plane in Port-Harcourt, he said he was going for a vigil. I asked him where, he said at the camp. I still saw him two days ago and he said, ’election is very close, it is time to fortify ourselves’. Daddy, you may laugh at the deceitful world we find ourselves, at least none of us (referring to his colleagues who call on God),  is worshipping Satan. 




No one said they were going to see any native doctor. Elaborating further on the conflicts of Christian political office holders, he said by virtue of human nature, when things start getting difficult, we bow our knees to pray. Once they start getting rosy, we tend to struggle with God from time to time.
Daddy, our prayer tonight for those of us who believe in God and visit you from time to time, that God in His infinite mercy would strengthen us, because in our weakness we still desire God and beg him to fight on our behalf.    
Continuing with his extemporaneous speech, Governor Amaechi  drew a parallel between political leaders such as governors and men of God that people always looked up to both for exemplary leadership. Amaechi however was of the opinion that a man of God who would lead a child of God to hell would find himself in “a double chamber of hell if such exists. I didn’t say these are in the bible, but these are my postulations”. 




As an insider in Nigeria’s political terrain and apparently appalled with the nation’s level of development, Amaechi pleaded passionately, “once again Daddy and Mummy, please pray for us. This country is 50 and still we don’t have power, 70% of Nigerians is poor, many cannot afford education, hospitals are empty of drugs something is definitely wrong. We have oil and abundant resources from God and we are not moving forward, please pray for us”.  Ending on a very jovial note which had an unmistakable tinge of his political aspiration he said, ”if I decide to run for the second term, I ask for your blessings so we can fight the enemy”.

No comments:

Post a Comment